Rough Into Smooth
Beloved Saints of God
1 Corinthians 1:27-29 27 but God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28 and base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29 that no flesh should glory in his presence. Read More
In our last exhortation, I shared with you what someone had put together such as Longfellow taking a worthless sheet of paper, writing a poem on it, and making it worth $6,000—that’s genius or how Rockefeller could sign his name to a piece of paper and make it worth a million dollars—that’s capital and how God can take a worthless, sinful life, immerse it in the blood of Christ, put His Spirit in it, and make it a blessing to humanity—that’s salvation. Read More
Today, let me add my little piece, my very own concoction:
- A designer can take a piece of cloth, cut it up into pieces of rags called “patterns” and sell it—that’s fashion.
- A thief and murderer could, on his/her deathbed, at the very last-minute be forgiven by God for his/her life of evil—that’s grace. Ah, grace!
- Grace is God’s unmerited and undeserved favour. Grace is kindness received from God, a blessing or kindness that we don’t deserve. In other words, we receive this divine favour not because of anything that we have done neither is there anything that we can ever do to earn this favour. It is purely a gift from the gracious God. So grace is not because of something that any of us ever did (works), something that any of us deserved (God’s kindness) or something that any of us have a right to (we were born into, and are dead in sin). Look at what someone said about G.R.A.C.E.; it spells it all perfectly well:
- Gods Riches At Christ’s Expense
- I deserve hell, but God has given me His heaven—that’s mercy. Mercy!
- Mercy is God not punishing us as our sins deserve.
- Mercy is not the jolt of pity or sympathy that one feels when one spies a panhandler perched on the street corner. It is not one in a position of power going easy on a subordinate or a powerful person suddenly choosing to be forgiving of a potential victim.
- Mercy is a combination of compassion, patience, forgiveness, love, care.
- To distinguish the two, grace and mercy, let me put it this way: Mercy is God saving us from judgment. Grace is God in His inexplicable magnanimity extending kindness to the unworthy. *(Inspired by the by the Holy Spirit and by the GRACE acronym, look at what, by God’s grace I just put together for: M.E.R.C.Y.: Mankind’s Execution Rescinded by Christ’s Y
So God Almighty can transform the rough into smooth. You see how God’s grace and mercy transformed the murderer Saul into the apostle Paul. As Saul, he viciously and violently led soldiers to hunt down Christians (men, women and probably children) and the Bible (Acts 7:58-8:1) says that during the stoning of Stephen, “the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul.” When he became Paul, he called himself the chief of sinners in 1 Timothy 1:15 even though after his salvation, his life had totally changed and he was all sold out for Jesus. Read More
Interestingly as Saul became Paul by the grace and transforming power of God, he picked up right where his well-known victim, Stephen left off in death; and Paul evangelized until his death, just like Stephen. Rough material into smooth? Yes! Paul wrote most (13) of the 27 books of the New Testament. Rough material into smooth? Yes, God does so and will do the same for you if you will allow Him! He’s done it for me; He will do it for you as well if you ask.
Proposed prayer: Dear Lord, I look at Paul’s life before Your grace met him and he was vicious, violent and scary. Your grace and mercy transformed him both on the inside and outside and he served You faithfully. I have Your grace and mercy and I want to be humble and also serve You daily anywhere and everywhere. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer, in Jesus’ gracious name. Amen!
 The acronym M.E.R.C.Y. Mankind’s Execution Rescinded by Christ’s Yoke was coined by Andrew A. Aryee, Restoration Church. * Please in using this acronym ensure that the appropriate attribution to the original source, Andrew A. Aryee is made. God bless you and thanks.